Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Most Refreshing Quinoa Salad

I recently discovered quinoa from a co-worker who asked me if I knew any good quinoa recipes. As a result, I spent a few days reseaching quinoa and finding interesting recipes that I could give to her. 
You can find quinoa at most Safeway and Times as well as Sam's Club and Costco. You can find a simple recipe or two on the package or google some images for ideas. For this recipe, I took an old enchilada-related recipe and cooked the quinoa in chicken broth instead of water. I hope you like it and I hope you try it out for yourself.

For the quinoa: In a medium saucepan, heat the chicken broth over medium heat. Add the quinoa and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pan. Cook for about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the quinoa to sit for another 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
For the dressing: Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl or shake them up in a mason jar.
For the salad: In a large bowl, add the quinoa and all of the salad ingredients. Gently mix to combine everything together. Add the dressing and fold to combine. Refrigerate until chilled. For the best results, chill overnight.
I usually make this ahead of time, pack them in little to-go containers and store them in the fridge. They are perfect for my 30 minute lunch breaks at work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment