Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Making Dashi and Homemade Miso Soup

Dashi is a sea broth used in Japanese cooking. Its really easy to make! The dashi you find in the asian stores and/or asian aisles can be used but they are highly processed and sugared. 

Making homemade dashi is a better, healthier option. 
 All you really need is dried kelp (Konbu) and bonito flakes (Katsuo bushi). 
My cat is smelling Kelp (Konbu) for the first time.
 First cut the kelp to fit in a pan of water. Soak the kelp at least 15 minutes or overnight. 
 Then, simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. Bring the pot to almost a boil.

Remove the kombu (I forgot this step) and add the bonito flakes (Katsuo bushi). As another option, you can use dried shiitake mushrooms.
Bring back to a boil and simmer 20 seconds (skimming along the way). Cover and let the bonito flakes sink. Then turn off the heat. 
 Strain the stock with a cheesecloth, coffee filter or whatever you have.
 And there you have it! 

Easy peesy homemade dashi.

I like to store the extra dashi in Mason jars and refridgerate up to a week. 

As for the leftover Konbu or kelp...
 don't throw it away!
Slice them into thin pieces and make a knot. Then stir fry them or just reuse the kelp again for another or a stronger dashi. 

Now, what to do with dashi? 

Make Miso soup
or 
Oyako Donburi
or 
Udon
or
Other Japanese dishes but those are my favorites.
 For Miso soup, I wanted to add tofu but I ran out of it so I peeled, and thinly sliced some daikon (Turnip or white radish). 
 Add 1 Tbsp of miso paste to the broth.
 Drop it all in the dashi stock.
 Add anything you want. Here I added green onions.
 Just for fun, I chopped some Korean nori and added it as a garnish. 
For the other one, I dropped in some left over salmon made the night before. 

Ahhh 

Gochisosama deshita.

No comments:

Post a Comment